What makes Powel unique?
Samuel Powel Elementary is a unique school with lots to offer its students, parents, and community, including:
- An ethnically and culturally diverse student body
- Dedicated and loving teachers and staff
- A curriculum designed to stimulate and challenge students’ minds
- Opportunities to explore and develop creativity
- Family-like community with an active Home & School Association
- Wide availability of computers and other technologies
Take a virtual tour of Powel
If you haven’t done so, please take a look at the other pages on this site and on the school’s website site to get a better feel for Powel. You can read about school news, meet some of the teachers, and check out the overall environment.
What makes us stand apart from other schools?
Good question! Powel has many enhancements to the school district’s core curriculum to ensure our students get the most out of their education. Some highlights include:
- Powel is a partnership school with Drexel University. Drexel received a PECO grant to bring STEM programming to Powel to enhance the educational experience of Powel students
- Children’s Literacy Initiative curriculum and training for teachers and students in Kindergarten-3rd grade.
- Whole-school thematic units of study focusing on either Africa, China, Latin America, or Greece with artists in residence and trips to local venues.
- Research-intensive projects for third and fourth grade students, with a focus on reading and writing workshop in all grades for all students.
- A strong vocal and instrumental music program offering violin, clarinet, and brass lessons in small groups.